The Solent Dragons' Den seeks to encourage innovation and improvement within our clinical services. It gives an opportunity for any member of staff or a patient to put forward ideas that will improve or enhance care and patient experience by awarding small grants to help put these ideas into practice. The Dragons' Den applications are reviewed 4 times a year. Each ‘bid’ can apply for up to £10,000.
How does it work?
Applicants are required to complete a simple two page application form. This asks for an outline of the idea, how it will make a difference, and what financial or practical support is needed to get it to work. Applications are reviewed by a panel which considers if the application contains enough information to continue and if the application is feasible and fits with Solent objectives.
All those that meet the above criteria (the vast majority do), will be invited to present their idea to the ‘Dragons' Den’. All projects will be assigned a ‘sponsor’, who will support applicants with their presentation/ pitch.
Successful applicants are encouraged to evaluate the effectiveness of successful bids once implemented.
Examples of projects
- The adult speech and language therapy service successfully bid for funding to purchase I-Pads which can be used by patients for therapy exercises.
- Our Adult Learning Disabilities Team have produced a 'Health Passport' in partnership with their service users for them to take around to all the different health and care organisations that they visit.
- Our Sexual Health Services are now able to use an Outreach Bus to deliver health promotion events, and to go out to vulnerable groups across our cities.
- A 'mindfulness' CD has been produced by our mental health recovery team. Over 2000 CDs have been distributed and it has now been made freely available on YouTube
- Virtual Reality equipment has been purchased to support therapy for those with mental ill health.
- A young person's panel to support development of our Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service has been established, and is now extending to other agencies in Portsmouth.
How can I be involved?
If you are a member of staff at Solent NHS Trust, please visit our resources page to access a range of how-to guides and to download our application form.
If you are a patient or member of the public who would either like to suggest a project or sit on the panel, contact us.